First Timers Tips
Coming to the CMC for the first time can be daunting. It feels like everyone knows everyone. However, about half our delegates at the CMC haven’t attended before and companies are in Sheffield to seek out new talent – and that’s you, so don’t keep your light under a bushel. Here’s our rough guide to help you navigate your way round CMC for the first time.
First Timers Reception Tuesday 3 July 2018 5pm, Crucible Theatre
We invite all First Timers to a reception in the Crucible – just before the opening keynote on Tuesday. To find your conference buddies and hear top tips, sign up to the First Timers reception when you register.
Sheffield Cathedral Drinks Reception Tuesday 4 July 2018 7.15pm
Get out your business cards out and network with the industry.
Speed Meetings Wednesday 4 & Thursday 5 July 2018, Workstation
Speed Meetings are a good way to meet commissioners. Speed is literally the essence: each slot is five minute so come prepared with your business cards and your ideas.
First Timers Lunch Wednesday 4 July 2018, HUBS Hideout
If you missed (or enjoyed) the First Timers Reception, here is another opportunity to meet your fellow first timers at lunch hosted by a CMC “old hand” and some mates on Wednesday.
Pizza Express on Wednesday is a great way to meet people: it’s informal, great fun and we definitely recommend booking if it’s your first time in Sheffield. Book in advance (coming soon)
Keep in Touch
- Make sure you sign up to the CMC e-bulletin as soon as you can. The e-bulletin is the very best way to keep up to date about what’s happening at CMC this year.
- Keep in touch with the CMC Twitter account #TCMC.
- Use the LinkedIn Group to contact other attendees.
- Read Questions From a First Timer (coming soon) which covers everything you want know about coming to CMC for the first time, from those in the know.
- For inspiration, have a read of What has the CMC Ever Done For Me?
Finding your Way Around
- The main conference venue is the Showroom Cinema in Sheffield. The cinema is a short walk from Sheffield railway station. On arrival you can walk from the station to the venue and register all in about 15 minutes.
- Your first stop is the Registration Desk in the Workstation (next door to the Showroom). You can pick up your badge here and come back any time to the Registration Desk for assistance. The cloakroom and luggage check is also in the Workstation.
- The Showroom bar is our social centre. It’s where all delegates and most speakers will hang out during the conference. Have a coffee and you will be bound to meet up with new conference friends.
- At lunchtime most delegates will usually be in The HUBS. You can pick up a lunch pack there and spend your lunch breaks networking.
- Orientate yourself before you come to Sheffield with our City Guide.
- Your delegate pass gives you access to the Keynote events on Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening (in the Crucible Theatre) and all the conference sessions in the Showroom and The HUBS.
- Your printed delegate guide provides information on the content and timing of all the sessions at the Conference, allowing you to plan your time.
- Look out for the CMC app that will be available for the conference.
- Some sessions will be busy and we operate on a first come, first served basis, so remember to get to sessions in time.
- The International Exchange is in Sheffield Town Hall. It opens at 8.30am on Tues 3 July. You can pay to meet commissioners, buyers and producers in 15 mins slots.
CMC Update 8 January 2021 - Kidscreen Meeting Bookings Begin, More Video From ABC by CMC And More....