Date: 11 November 2019
Venue: Social 7, MediaCityUK
Date: Monday 11 November, 2019
Venue: Social 7, MediaCityUK
Manimation – the event for UK animation community which focuses exclusively on how to keep you and your business busy and thriving today and in the future.
Manimation brought together animation production companies, producers, animators, writers and creative service providers with potential buyers from broadcasters, advertisers, creative agencies, corporate, distribution and more in this friendly and open market setting.
At the same time, a CMC curated programme of business-focused round-tables developed skills and provided new intelligence on where clients will be in the future, and what they will be looking for.
Arranged for the day running up to the Manchester Animation Festival, Manimation offered the best possible business outcomes to enhance your festival week!
Full reports (including speaker PowerPoints) are available on the content of each of the sessions in the list below. Plus video of selected sessions.
Keynote and conference schedule
- 10am Opening Keynote: Peter Lord (Aardman Animations)
- 10.30am Panel: The Shock of the New. Innovation in funding, financing, and animation technical.
- 11.30am Break
- 12noon Forum: ScreenSkills and the Animation Skills Council. Current projects and future plans for training – have your say.
- 1pm Lunch (included)
- 2pm Keynote 2: Sarah Muller (BBC Children’s)
- 2.30pm Panel: Global Opps. Case studies in successful international co-financing and roll-out.
- 3.30pm Break
- 4pm Panel: Ads and Animators. Case studies in successful client /creative agency/animation producer collaboration.
- 4.45pm Session: Diversity – Good for Business. The opportunities in the recent UK Screen Alliance inclusion and diversity report.
- 5.30pm Drinks Reception
Companies confirmed for meetings were:
- Jo Allen, Producer, Acquisitions and Independent Animation, BBC Children’s
- BBC Children’s In House Animation and Puppetry Development Team
- Emily Beech & Faye Gibbon, BJL Animation and Marketing Agency
- Lori Camm, Senior Producer, CBeebies (0-6 years) Independent productions
- Mario DuBois, Executive Producer, Independent Productions, Interactive, Children’s 6 – 16, BBC Children’s
- Dominic Gardiner, CEO, Jetpack Distribution
- Josie Grierson, Director of Creative Affairs, Family & Brands, eOne
- Nick Hall, Senior Programme Executive, CBeebies Animation & Acquisitions
- Chris Halliday & Andy Wright, Certification Unit, BFI
- Bruce Jones, Partner, Intellectual Property, Kuit Steinart Levy LLP
- Richard Kinning, Creative Director, Northern Europe, WarnerMedia
- John Knowles, Production Executive, YACF
- Louise Maloney, Programme and Acquisitions Manager, Milkshake! Channel 5
- Elliott Palmer, Animation Production and Development Manager, Nickelodeon International
- Hesham Sabry, Business Affairs Executive, YACF
- Alex Thornton, Commercial Creative Manager, WarnerMedia
- Joel Wilenus, Interactive Content Editor, BBC Children’s
- Harriet Williams, Development Executive, YACF
One-to-one meetings 10.30am-5.30pm
You could spend most of the day at Manimation in meetings with people who are crucial to your future business. 24 x 15 minute meeting slots were available to every delegate.
The bespoke booking system Meeting Mojo put delegates in direct touch with clients in advance, and created meeting schedules.
Peter Lord, co-founder of Aardman Animations and Sarah Muller, Head of BBC Children’s Acquisitions and Independent Animation at BBC Children’s provided their unique experience in two Keynote sessions.
The day offered free teas and coffees, lunch and a networking early evening reception to ensure you met everyone you needed to, either formally or informally.
Manimation Working Group
Curated by Manchester-based Manimation Working Group and organised by The Children’s Media Conference, Manimation offers creative and business opportunities, information and inspiration for the UK animation community.