First Timers Tips
Coming to the CMC for the first time can be daunting. It feels like everyone knows everyone. However, about half our delegates at the CMC haven’t attended before and companies are in Sheffield to seek out new talent – and that’s you, so don’t keep your light under a bushel. Here’s our rough guide to help you navigate your way round CMC for the first time.
First Timers Reception
Tuesday 7 July 2020 5pm
We invite all First Timers to a reception in the City Hall – just before the opening keynote on Tuesday. To find your conference buddies and hear top tips, sign up to the First Timers reception when you register.
The CMC Drinks Reception
Tuesday 7 July 2020 7.15pm
Get out your business cards out and network with the industry at the opening drink reception.
First Timers Lunch
Wednesday 8 July 12.30-1.30pm, HUBS
Grab your lunch pack and join us downstairs in the HUBS Hideout for some helpful personal advice on navigating CMC.
Wednesday 8 & Thursday 9 July 2020, Workstation
Speed Meetings are a good way to meet commissioners. Speed is literally the essence: each slot is five minute so come prepared with your business cards and your ideas.
Pizza Express on Wednesday is a great way to meet people: it’s informal, great fun and we definitely recommend booking if it’s your first time in Sheffield.
Keep in Touch
- Make sure you sign up to the CMC e-bulletin as soon as you can. The e-bulletin is the very best way to keep up to date about what’s happening at CMC this year.
- Keep in touch with the CMC Twitter and Instagram accounts #TCMC.
- Use the LinkedIn Group to contact other attendees.
- For inspiration, have a read of What has the CMC Ever Done For Me?
Finding your Way Around
- The main conference venue is the Showroom Cinema in Sheffield. The cinema is a short walk from Sheffield railway station. On arrival you can walk from the station to the venue and register all in about 15 minutes.
- Your first stop is the Registration Desk in the Workstation (next door to the Showroom). You can pick up your badge here and come back any time to the Registration Desk for assistance. The cloakroom and luggage check is also in the Workstation.
- The Showroom bar is our social centre. It’s where all delegates and most speakers will hang out during the conference. Have a coffee and you will be bound to meet up with new conference friends.
- At lunchtime most delegates will usually be in The HUBS. You can pick up a lunch pack there and spend your lunch breaks networking.
- Orientate yourself before you come to Sheffield with our City Guide (coming soon).
- Your delegate pass gives you access to the Keynote events on Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening and all the conference sessions in the Showroom and The HUBS.
- Your printed delegate guide provides information on the content and timing of all the sessions at the Conference, allowing you to plan your time.
- Look out for the CMC app that will be available for the conference.
- Some sessions will be busy and we operate on a first come, first served basis, so remember to get to sessions in time.
- The International Exchange is in Sheffield Town Hall. It opens at 8.30am on Tues 7 July. You can pay to meet commissioners, buyers and producers in 15 mins slots.