The Children’s Media Conference 2013 welcomed 900+ delegates from children’s TV, interactive media, games, licensing, toys, radio, book and magazine publishing, arts, culture and film – to Sheffield from 3-5 July.
And this year we celebrated the 10th annual gathering of the kids content industries in Sheffield.
2013 Conference Highlights
Our Conference theme: Are We There Yet…?
After 10 years of innovation in funding, making, distributing and consuming content, where is kids’ media going? How is the audience changing, how far will it change in the future, and can we keep up? Is there in fact a “there” to get to? Or do we face constant revolution?
NEW THIS YEAR…
BOTH Keynote presentations took place in the spacious setting of Sheffield’s world-famous Crucible Theatre main stage.
Our brand new event – The CMC International Exchange.
A new addition to The CMC, the International Exchange was a must for anyone looking for international partnership and funding opportunities. Featuring a line up of broadcasters, co-producers, funders and investors from international territories, this was a unique, not to be missed opportunity for buyers and sellers of content and services.
The benefits of joining the International Exchange
- Information sessions running through the day on Wednesday 3 July, with practical advice on working with different territories and taking advantage of the newly available tax relief.
- A dedicated meeting space with a booking system in place to secure one-to-one meetings with CMC’s international guests on Wednesday 3 July.
- The services of our International Exchange Manager who assisted with booking meetings with international companies seeking development, creative and investment partnerships.
- Lunch on Wednesday 3 July.
- The dedicated meeting space continued to be available on Thursday 4th and Friday 5th July for those who are registered with The CMC International Exchange.
- The International Exchange ticket was £45+VAT.
Click here for more information on the CMC International Exchange.
10th Anniversary Party: Thursday 4 July
Acelebration of 10 glorious years, hosted by familiar kids’ media faces and accompanied by an industry insiders “super-group”. Unmissable!
Strands and Workshops
Dozens of sessions on the policy, strategy, creative and business issues which affect us all, and 4 invaluable workshops on a range of topics to suit everyone’s needs.
- Wednesday Workshops: Wednesday 3 July
- On four contrasting themes: Polish and Pitch, Mapping Your Characters, Monetising Digital Content and the return of the expert-packed Co-pro Clinic. Starting at lunchtime on Wednesday – expert advice on your projects and ideas.
- “UK Animation – Open for Business”
- Reflecting the exciting prospect of the UK animation tax incentives in a theme running right through the workshops, sessions and the new CMC International Exchange.
- “That’s Edutainment”
- A strand of sessions which explored the power of entertainment, play, personalities and brands in kids’ learning.
- Research Strand
- On Thursday: 9 quick-fire sessions on the latest commercial and academic research – all repeated on Friday so you don’t have to miss your chosen topics.
- Meet The Commissioners Strand
- Including broadcasters, publishers, the arts and culture sector and NEW this year – an introduction to sources of funding from commissioning bodies fresh to the kids market.
- Key speakers this year included
- Andrew Beecham (Sprout)
- Francesca Dow (Penguin)
- Joe Godwin (BBC)
- Amelia Johnson (Bin Weevils)
- Jeff ‘Swampy’ Marsh (Disney)
- Jamila Metran (CITV)
- Nigel Pickard (Zodiak)
- Cally Poplak (Egmont)
- Sander Schwartz (Fremantle)
- Cheryl Taylor (CBBC)
- Anna Home OBE, CMC Chair, on this year’s theme
- Ten years of the CMC exploring innovation and change has seen us move from the theory of “convergence” into a reality of 3D smart TV’s, internet video via an 8 year-old’s mobile, publishing as a digital enterprise, museums as interactive experiences and games consoles that deliver education, sociability and content along with play.“Who’s Pressing the Buttons…?” we asked in 2004 in our first ever Conference discussion, as we explored how Broadband might take us into “a world without schedules”. Ten years on, it’s time to take stock. So our theme for 2013 is: Are we there yet? How is the audience changing, how far will it change, and can we keep up? Or have we perhaps reached an understanding that there is no “there” to get to – that working in modern media is a constant dance on shifting sands? If there is a destination, one thing is certain – the kids will get there before us. At the CMC we recognise that getting together to share experience, explore innovation and focus on the audience is the best way to face an uncertain but exciting future with confidence. We take the journey together. It’s what we’ll offer in Sheffield this summer, and in the years ahead.
CMC Update 19 February 2019 - CMC @LBF, Have Your Say On The YAC Fund, And More...
CMC Update 7 February 2019 - CMC Exchange @LBF, KIdscreen Last Call, Emmys And More...
CMC Update 25 January 2019 - CMC @LBF, Kidscreen Breakfasts And Benefits, APD Stuttgart, And More...