Report – Keynote: The Times are a changin’ … what lies ahead in a post Brexit future for the screen industries
Speaker: Cat Lewis, Nine Lives Media
Takeaway: Big changes are coming with Brexit, so lobby to have your voice heard. Organisations such as Save Kids Content UK, PACT and the Creative Industries Federation are working hard to ensure that changes are in the industries’ favour.
What lies ahead in post Brexit?
Cat talked about how 2016 and beyond is a time of great change, and industry bodies are committed to making the future as much in our favour as possible.
She urged everyone in the industry to push their opinions, lobby and use the industry bodies to get their voices heard.
Areas Cat touched upon included:
- PACT, which is working to help independent producers have access to the same materials and opportunities as in-house producers.
- The Animation Tax Break has received a welcome boost – it is now available for live animation.
- In September 2016, Anne Wood launched Save Kids Content UK which is encouraging more companies to increase production of children’s content and pushing Channel 4 to increase its children’s TV programming.
- There is growing pressure on Channel 4 to move to Birmingham, or at least have a number of commissioners in different cities across the UK to make it easier for the people working in the nations and regions. Cat pushed for people to voice their opinions on this, as it’s being considered NOW!
- Creative Industries Federation has just produced a report into Brexit and the industries’ short term and long term goals. The Federation is making our concerns known to the government. That’s why it’s important to lobby personally too.
- The creative industries sector is the fastest growing sector and creates one in 11 jobs and has a GVA of £87.4 billion.