Record Breaking Hammer Pants
What has the CMC ever done for me? Writer Tim Bain reveals not one, but his top 5 positive outcomes.
I attended my very first CMC in 2012 with only a single kids’ TV episode credit to my name. I knew nothing and no one. I felt like a freshman who’d crashed Spring Break. But it changed my career in more ways than I could have imagined…
- Meeting great mates. Two of my best writer friends were found at the first Wednesday night drinks, Tony Cooke and Andrew Viner. They’ve become great movie dates – I no longer look so sad and creepy attending kids films at the cinema.
- Shameless networking. Meeting VIP execs who later hired me on shows such as ‘Fireman Sam’, ‘Bob the Builder’ and ‘Counterfeit Cat’.
- Disney execs “on the town”. Serendipitously bumping into them at 3am and continuing the party in a their Disney suite. Fooling them that I was talented enough to write for several upcoming shows.
- Getting involved. Helping to organise CMC’s 10th year anniversary party in 2013 and seeing Alexander ‘Elvis has left the building’ Bar strut his stuff on stage.
- Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is. This year, my CMC buddy Tony Cooke and I risked our careers in embarrassing costumes (Hello Hammer pants!) and pitched our own collaborative creation, ‘New Girl on the Block’ to a panel of Dragons. To our delighted shock, a bidding war broke out between Zodiak and CBBC and we received a record-breaking option offer from CBBC. We’re still buzzing!
If you only attend one kids’ media conference this year, make it CMC! It’s Kidscreen, meets LinkedIn, meets a super-fun class reunion! It will literally change your career.
CMC Update 24 June 2019 - Exploring The Range Or People And Content At CMC 2019
CMC Update 21 June 2019 - Policy & Strategy, First-timers, Learning and discounted tickets.