Case Study 2: One Dream/Two Dreamers – Co-developing Animation
Andrew played the “talented” animator and director with his pre-school series ‘Rollies’ featuring his original characters. And Deborah, was the owner of animation company Moon Productions, who is being critically acclaimed for her work.
They need to agree a way to work together where they can both get the right measure of control and rewards from the process of production.
Here are the things they discussed:
Co-development deal terms
- Rights ownership (copyright)
- Responsibilities of each co-developer during development phase
- Production roles
- Budget and financing of development
- Profit share and back end
- Post termination
- Broadcasters: traditional and new players
- Merchandising & Licensing
- Co-productions: domestic and international
- Tax credits
- Grants and soft funding
- Secondary rights
In the end we didn’t discover whether ‘Rollies’ would get made. But we learned a lot from the increasingly complex nature of their on-stage negotiations.
CMC Update 21 February 2020 - CMC@LBF, Kidscreen Success And Your Ideas Wanted Now.
CMC Update 31 January 2020 - Kidscreen Screener Deadline, StoryFutures Academy And More...
CMC Update 24 January 2020 - Breakfast At Kidscreen, Session Producing For CMC...